Lifespan of custom-made vinyl nosings depends on both their manufactured and installation quality. This sheet provides some installation guidelines for vinyl nosings.
1. Always install nosings first , before the adjacent flooring is installed on the treads. Installing the nosing after the adjacent plank will likely create a clearance (void) between the nosing face and the tread, resulting in the nosing breaking quickly.
2. Apply adhesive to the nosing backside on both tread top and tread face. No gap is acceptable between the nosing and the tread face. This will secure each nosing section in place and ensure long term strength.
3. Remove foam backing from nosings made of click planks, whenever possible. Cork backing can remain on the nosings. When foam backing delaminates from the nosing in service, the nosing separates from the tread and breaks easily. Or, it will only hold partially, with loose sections susceptible to cracking.
4. Apply a line of PL construction adhesive, epoxy or other applicable hard-curing adhesive to the inside corner of the nosing where the top and the drop sections join. This should be done at the time of installation. This technique improves installation and prolongs service life of nosings.
5. The upper front corner of the tread should be square. If that corner cannot be made square, it must be filled with PL construction adhesive, epoxy or other applicable hard-curing adhesive to fill the void between the tread and the inside corner of the nosing. The will ensure solid support of the nosing and prevent it from cracking and breaking.
6. Adhesive usage.
- PL construction adhesive can be used to install nosings made of click vinyl with cork backing.
- PL construction adhesive cannot be used for nosings made of glue-down vinyl or click with foam backing.
Pressure sensitive adhesives should be used for installation of vinyl nosings with foam backing or glue-down nosings.
We specifically recommend UZIN KE 2000 S pressure sensitive adhesive for nosings.
Double sided mounting tape for flooring demonstrates excellent results and it is the best choice for nosings with foam backing or nosings made of glue-down vinyl. The tape often performs better then pressure sensitive adhesives.
We specifically recommend UZIN U-Tack adhesive tape, which is available in different widths.